Decision Making. This is the most important part of any renovation.
1. A budget amount that will not put a strain on you financially. (allow 15% more for unforeseen)
2. A time frame to complete the work. (allow 25% more for delays in materials arriving late and changes on the fly)
3. Picking the right General Contractor.
4. Get references and check them out.
5. Ask questions about how things were dealt with when issues arose.
6. Did the project come in on budget?
7. How were the tradesmen? Were they friendly and respectful?
8. Read the fine print in the contract
If you feel good about your informed decision, there is no reason to think you will not be happy with the end product.